The secret to security is layers. The only way to keep
out a modern day threat is to put enough layers in place
to discourage even the most persistent hacker, or foil the
most complex worm.
If you think that a common router is enough to keep out
an attacker, you are wrong.
If your firewall is not configured properly it is useless.
There are literally thousands of security solutions out
there specific to the size of the network or to the types
of applications running on it, but there are a handful of
tasks that every end-user should follow:
- Utilize an anti-virus. If you don't, you're a sitting
- Stay up-to-date on all updates. This includes OS, Anti-Virus,
- Utilize and properly configure a firewall. Common routers
just don't have what it takes to keep out the truly malicious
- Use strong passwords, preferably 8+ characters in length
containing a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Maintain a company security policy. Define what information
can and cannot be shared between co-workers or to external